Fly to the sky

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Seven springs and skiing




"Aaaaaaaaaaaa", this was the sound I made everytime I fell, no doubt got hurt but it was fun :) I am talking of the skii trip I did today. The first time I have ever skiied, and I just experienced heaven...The GSA from our school had organized this trip, and nothing could go wrong. Left our home at 6:45 AM, caught the 6:50 bus to school and the school shuttle left for Seven Springs at 7:30, reached the place at about 9:30 AM. Collected our equipments - one pair of iron shoes, man that alone could have weighed 10 pounds; skii boards and holders. We had skiing lessons for about an hour. The tutor was so cute, though he made fun of me everytime I skiied; he said u don need to be so serious, this is no war, its okay to fall, no need for fear. I picked up the tricks quite fast. Then, we were on our own in the vast field.

They had made seperate tracks for beginners, intermediate and expert skiiers. The beginners track was about 200 metres, slope taking us down, and there was a lift to get us up again. We skiied till 1. I fell about 3-4 times. The first time, I fell on my back and was in no position to balance back myself, I had to call for help....but the next few times, I realized not to repeat the same mistake, and fell on the front, you can easily stand back or even untie you ski board if need be. Now, time for lunch. Came back at 2, and were there till 4. This period was the best. I knew I skii now :) I fall lesser, balance better and help some other less skilled people giving tips too ;) Time for a tea break now. Returned at 4:45. By this time, it started raining. This made the snow melt and was quite icy, very slippery. You could skii at great speed, but with not much balance and control. I found it very difficult to land and pause. At one time while landing, I was well in control,reduced the speed as well and then, the guy ahead of me on snowboard slipped and fell...I havent perfected the art of making a turn yet, and I dashed into him. This time again, I fell on the ice. There was one time when I was speeding, I had to slow down...crossed my ski boards, tried to break...tried to put in extra weight by kneeling down, sitting position...no effect on the damn slippery ice, put my hand on the ground to stop, toppled and fell down hard. This time, a friend commented he had not seen anybody skiing in the sitting position, I could be a trend setter:) As time passed, the rain increased in intensity and skiing became tougher. But, still I skiied, speeded, fell as I landed, bounced back and continued.

Now, it was 6:30 PM; my hands and feet had gone numb quite long back, but now I started getting cramps at my fingers...rertuned the equipment stuff, and back to the bus. We left the place at about 7:30 PM. Long day... pain all over my body, but quenched my thirst for adventure, and swore to come back again, that time it will be the experts' track:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home